Tidy Towns Meeting – 1st March

Tidy Towns Meeting

1st March 2017 8.00 p.m.

Attendance: Tom Dooley (Chairman), Kathleen McGrath, John McGerr, Brian Smith, Eileen Spillane, John Cahill (Secretary), Gerard Greene.

Apologies received from: Harry Reynolds (Treasurer), Beatrice Patterson, Tom Victory.

Chairman Tom Dooley:

Tom outlined to the meeting the costs involved with the maintenance of a total of nine planted areas (including weedkiller spraying/cutting back of overgrowth/planting conifers on the bypass).

He has met with Damien Gilchrist and showed him the areas in question. He is fully insured and V.A.T. registered. His quote for this year was considered competitive and Tom gave Damien the go ahead after consulting with H. Reynolds and J. Cahill.

Tom said that Beatrice had suggested laying weed barrier at Lisnageeragh Lane. Following a short discussion the meeting decided to go ahead.

Regarding the Spring Clean on Saturday March 11th Tom said that Eamonn Carty had organised some of his neighbours to do a cleanup in his area. Tom said that Callaghan’s will leave a skip by the school on Saturday morning and will collect it later that evening.

Tom said that Gary Brady, Longford County Council, Environment Section, confirmed a grant towards costs of the cleanup.

During a meeting of the Strategic Planning Group of Longford County Council, which he attended recently, the issue of replacing the railings at the traffic lights on Main Street was discussed. Firstly to replace the railings with heritage style railings is extremely expensive and is beyond the funding available from the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht. Secondly as the style of the new library is to be contemporary and the surroundings of the library and street furniture going with it will be contemporary it follows that the railings should also be of a contemporary style. Of the drawings Tom had from that meeting we indicated one in particular would be our preference.

A second decision needed from us is whether four trees to be placed at the junction of Main Street and the N55 (at the traffic lights) should be planted directly in the ground or in planters. The decision is ours at it is likely we will be ones to water the trees. We decided on planter pots and again from a selection of drawings we chose one in particular with the size to be determined by the widths of the footpaths.

The above work (railings/trees) is expected to be finished by the end of April.

A further decision regarded the replacement of the seat at Curio Corner. John McGerr will check with Matt Farrell re the matching of seat design (again we were presented with variety of drawings of seats i.e. park benches, to choose from) with the new heritage signs which are currently in storage and which will be erected shortly.

Brian Smith Brian spoke about meeting the people who are renting the chipper and explained that we wish to have the water feature (top of Pound Street) working again. As the electricity feed comes from their premises they would need to be re-imbursed. Having spoken with Hughie McLoughlin (electrician) his understanding is that annual electricity consumption would be very low in the region of €10 to €20 annually Tom Dooley said he would be in agreement provided that we had something in writing. Brian will talk to this man again and also with Hughie McLoughlin.

Brian spoke about the clock at Curio Corner and how it’s light is not working at the moment. He will speak with Padraig McLoughlin regarding having the clock lit again.

Brian spoke about the need for a pedestrian crossing in Church Street. He said there is constant danger of an accident and in particular of a child being knocked down at the junction of Church Street and Main Street/Pound Street. Children after school often go into Philip Quinns for sweets and afterwards run across the end of Church Street towards the Library. Tom Dooley will raise this at a future Strategic Planning Group meeting.

Eileen Spillane:

Eileen enquired of progress re T.J. Doyle’s memorial seat. Tom Dooley said he would bring it up again with Joe Doyle and the Strategic Planning Group.

The meeting concluded at 8.55p.m.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: